CA CNA Katrina Volunteers

This is the link to a public photo album http://cakatrinarn.blogspot.com/

Monday, September 19, 2005

Do You Know What It Means to miss NEW ORLEANS?

William Faulkner’s evocative characterization of elegantly decadent Old
New Orleans was written for the Times Picayune in 1925 as follows:

A courtesan, not old and yet no longer young, who shuns the sunlight that the illusion of her former glory be preserved. The mirrors in her house are dim and the frames tarnished, all her house is dim and beautiful with age. She reclines gracefully upon a dull brocade chaise-lounge,there is the scent of incense about her, and her draperies are arranged in formal folds. She lives in an atmosphere of a bygone and more precious age. And those whom she receives are few in number,and they come to her through an eternal twilight
.

These were some of my recent thoughts and sadness at the realization that some of the old historic charm and neighborhoods will be demo-ed in my hometown NOLA (most of the City is a historic district.) No one wants Disneyland and strip malls. We know it will come back, the people, food, culture and soul will heal. Home is home. The people will bring the spirit back.

Some humour.Check out the funny riff by Robin Williams at the Wynton Marsalis (his father Ellis taught many of my friends, including Harry Connick Jr., music at NOCCA, New Orleans Center for Creative Arts) "Higher Ground" Benefit Concert at Lincoln Center in NYC...it's very funny. Speaking of Mardi Gras "I got word when the water started to rise: The floats this year will really have to float" at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4837922. npr.org Sept. 17 2005
I still could't figure out how to add a link. I tried.

"Rejoice at the death and cry at the Birth".....Jelly Roll Morten (in the spirit of Jazz funerals)

That's Right I'm Not from Texas....I could not help myself from singing this song. I was very impressed with the spirit and patience, kindness and southern hospitality of the Texans to the displaced people of New Orleans and to us volunteers, from the Texas nurses who came to volunteer after working their shifts(one stayed until 3am to help after working all day), to the kindness of the hotel workers at the Holiday Inn where we stayed. The Texans helped heal a group of people who were feeling so rejected after what they experienced waiting at the Dome and Convention Center. Many will make a new life. That's right!!!!!Here's the lyrics. I love Lyle.
You can hear part of it at http://www.mp3.com/tracks/722526/dl_streams.html

That's Right I'm Not from Texas

Artist/Band: Lovett Lyle
Lyrics for Song: That's Right (partial lyrics)
Lyrics for Album: Live in Texas

You say you're not from Texas
Man as if I couldn't tell
You think you pull your boots on right
And wear your hat so well

So pardon me my laughter
'Cause I sure do understand
Even Moses got excited
When he saw the promised land

That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

See I was born and raised in Texas
And it means so much to me
Though my girl comes from down in Georgia
We were up in Tennessee

And as we were driving down the highway
She asked me baby what's so great
How come you're always going on
About your Lone Star State

I said that's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway.....

So won't you let me help you Mister
Just pull your hat down the way I do
And buy your pants just a little longer
And next time somebody laughs at you

You just tell 'em you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

Thank you TEXAS..."Texas is great" as painted by a child from New Orleans....see the photos. Thanks to all of the fun nurses from CNA, our photojournalist Carol, fearless bargainer and troop leader Linda (who cared to worry about me when i was missing and visiting w my brother)and got us to the airport on time and Essie, who volunteered for the "Vomitorium" and worked night shift and drove us around and got sick, Hugs to Reneee and Myrim, for their smiles hugs and support, to Laura who braved her way to Starbucks and met an impostering doctor,to Lisa for your presence and great hair and to Kortney....who worked by my side screening patients in the Astrodome, wheeling vomiting patients and found a sick baby...(still need to hear that story and now you actually sang at the wedding.) Amazing. I was amazed at the nurse volunteers who took it upon themselves to leave their families, drive to Houston, and worked w me in Quarantine, from N. Carolina, Texas and other southern states. Thanks to CNA and Betty for organzing all of this.

Christine Chryssovergis UCSD Nurse from NOLA

15 Comments:

At 1:50 AM, Blogger Ulysses1969 said...

This blog is very interesting. I've got a similar site related to autosurfing.

Maybe you'd like to have a look some time...

Peace,
Bradford
www.BradfordMoore.Com

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Online Incomes said...

Ins, out of virtual black and blues
Forget everything you know about bullies. In the cyberworld, they may not be the strongest.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##Air Line and Airports## site/blog. It pretty much covers ##Cheap Airline tickets## related stuff.
You can save up 50% on your next trip!
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Elisha Cuthbert said...

I was browsing the Web and came accross your site. I am pretty new to blogging and everything but it seems pretty fun. I have a site
about sexy lingere that I just started a few weeks ago. Well, I just wanted to comment and say you have a neat blog. keep it up and have fun blogging!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Forex Trading said...

mercado de divisas argentina

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Tom Naka said...

I have a free pet health care
site. It pretty much covers free pet health care
related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger FXGUY said...

Good job - interesting posts, lots to consider. My own interests concern foreign exchange market and perhaps you might have an interest in checking out the subject of foreign exchange market. Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Free Traffic System said...

Hello,

I liked your blog. I found many interesting information here.
I also give free info about free forex charting software on my
href="http://www.WebTradingSystem.com">Forex Trading System
site.

If you have time please visit my web site to get some free free forex charting software
information.

Kind regards,
Nick

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Josh said...

I saw something similar about Shopping

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a forex option blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Webmaster said...

Interesting blog about autosurfing. I like to find more info on autosurfing for my earn high interestblog.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a forex trade signal blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Yalta resources said...

Free Blog Hosting Using Wordpress Blog Software At www.Blogsilla..com

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

Hello, your blog is inmformative, I just found a brand new forex trading system using both Mathematical and psychlogical approch, hope you can visit and it will be useful to your trading life.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Tn Tennessee House Cleaning said...

Powerful blog. The site was incredible and will be
back again! Web surfing helps to find good blogs like
this one.
Please come by and see my online home based business blog.

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger howell said...

Interesting and informative post.

I was looking out for a company that could provide customized and affordable SEO services and with whom I could touchbase on a daily basis. I was very impressed with the professionalism and quick response time of Seo Traffic Spider and hired their full time SEO services. Its interesting that they not only offer a customized optimization plan but also provide a superb discount on their SEO combinations.

I think this would be a helpful start for anyone looking out for highly professional seo services and who prioritize quick customer response time and chat availability. You can surely get it all here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home